Search Committee welcomes suggestions for new vice provost for undergraduate education
The search committee looking for a new vice provost for undergraduate education has invited faculty, students and staff to recommend candidates from among Stanford's faculty to replace John Bravman, who recently was named president of Bucknell University.
Please send nominations to: VPUE Search, c/o Provost's Office, MC: 2061, or to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 14.
Bravman, who served as vice provost for undergraduate education at Stanford for more than a decade, will assume his duties as president of Bucknell, a liberal arts university in Pennsylvania, on July 1.
The person who succeeds Bravman will lead an organization of more than 100 faculty and staff, and manage an annual budget of $45 million.
The vice provost for undergraduate education manages many programs, including Stanford Introductory Studies, Introduction to the Humanities, the Program in Writing and Rhetoric, Bing Overseas Studies, and Undergraduate Advising and Research. The vice provost also is a member of the president's executive cabinet, and spends a great deal of time on the road speaking to parents, potential applicants, admitted students and donors.
"We seek a candidate who is committed to championing and improving the undergraduate experience while capable of articulating in an effective and inspiring manner the intellectual and pedagogical ideals of Stanford University," the search committee said in a prepared statement.
Brad Osgood, a professor of electrical engineering and the senior associate dean for student affairs in the School of Engineering, will chair the 10-member committee, whose membership also includes:
- Patricia Burchat, professor of physics;
- Andrea Lunsford, professor of English, outgoing program director of the Program in Writing and Rhetoric;
- Simon Klemperer, professor of geophysics;
- Jeffrey Koseff, co-director of the Woods Institute for the Environment and a professor of civil and environmental engineering;
- Ramon Saldívar, professor of English;
- Greg Boardman, vice provost for student affairs;
- Stephanie Kalfayan, vice provost for academic affairs;
- Kyle Wong, Class of 2012;
- Erin Maria Olivella-Wright, Class of 2012.