Advisory committee formed for provost search
An advisory committee has been formed to support the search for the next provost of Stanford University.
An advisory committee of Stanford community members has been formed to support the search for the next provost of Stanford University, following the recent announcement that Provost Persis Drell will be stepping down this fall.
The advisory committee will be emailing the university community shortly to solicit nominations and seek other input about the next provost.
The provost serves as the chief academic officer and chief budget officer of the university. Drell has served in the role since February 2017.
The advisory committee consists of:
- Debra Satz (Chair), Vernon R. and Lysbeth Warren Anderson Dean of the School of Humanities & Sciences, The Marta Sutton Weeks Professor of Ethics in Society, professor of philosophy, and, by courtesy, of political science
- Scott Calvert, senior associate dean for administration, School of Engineering
- Scott Fendorf, Terry Huffington Professor and senior associate dean for integrative initiatives, Doerr School of Sustainability; and senior fellow at the Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment
- Susanna Loeb, professor of education, Graduate School of Education; and senior fellow at the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research
- Brian Lowery, Walter Kenneth Kilpatrick Professor of Organizational Behavior, Graduate School of Business
- Mary Beth Mudgett, senior associate dean for the natural sciences and professor of biology, School of Humanities & Sciences
- Ruth O’Hara, senior associate dean for research and Lowell W. and Josephine Q. Berry Professor, School of Medicine
- Jim Plummer, John M. Fluke Professor of Electrical Engineering and professor, by courtesy, of materials science and engineering, School of Engineering
- Elizabeth Asha Shah, undergraduate student, Program in Human Biology
- Robert Manuel Stolz, postdoctoral scholar, chemistry
- George Triantis, senior associate vice provost for research, Office of the Vice Provost and Dean of Research; and The Charles J. Meyers Professor of Law and Business, Stanford Law School
- Garrett Walker, graduate student, Stanford Law School
The advisory committee will provide recommendations to Stanford President Marc Tessier-Lavigne. The president has advised the committee that he will not make a decision regarding the next provost until the Board of Trustees has concluded its review regarding his research.
Those wishing to provide input to the advisory committee will be encouraged to do so before June 6, 2023, by emailing email@example.com. Nominations and other input also can be mailed to Building 1, Mail Code 2070, or faxed to (650) 723-3235. All communications with the advisory committee will be kept confidential.