Stanford Report — daily news email
What is our mission?
Stanford Report serves the university’s teaching and research mission by reporting on the innovations and accomplishments of Stanford’s people and on the news important to the campus community.
Stanford Report is designed to create a greater sense of unity among members of the campus community by sharing news of mutual interest and to increase appreciation of the university and its accomplishments among external readers.
It is intended first and foremost for the campus community, especially trustees, administrators, faculty and staff. But Stanford Report also has an important and growing community of readers among parents, current and prospective students, and opinion leaders external to the university who are interested in the discoveries made here.
How do we achieve our mission?
Stanford Report aggregates news stories, events and announcements from throughout the campus into a convenient and easily read daily e-newsletter that both informs and inspires.
Among the stories Stanford Report publishes:
- Research news that highlights the innovations of the university’s faculty scholars and scientists, and the postdocs, graduate students and undergraduates with whom they work
- Stories that reflect Stanford’s status as a higher education leader
- Profiles of Stanford people whose accomplishments support the university’s highest aspirations
- Administrative news that reflects the community nature of the Stanford campus, where thousands of people live and work
- News about awards that certify the accomplishments of Stanford faculty, staff, students, and – to a lesser extent – alumni
- Announcements and notices that help members of the community learn what they need to know to do their jobs or want to know so they can take advantage of the university’s many opportunities
- Events that are open to the public and that convey the important role Stanford plays in the local community
Who is our primary audience?
- University faculty and academic administrators
- University staff
- University trustees and similar stakeholders
- Current students, both graduate and undergraduate, as well as postdoctoral scholars, although all are specifically addressed through the Roundabout e-newsletters
- Current parents and guardians, although they, too, have their own e-newsletter
- Alumni, although they are primarily served by the Stanford Alumni Association
- Members of the neighboring communities
- Members of the media
- Prospective students and their families
Who can take out ads in Stanford Report?
Advertisements are accepted from the Stanford community, including schools, departments and related programs. If a potential advertiser has a PTA or access to one, then he or she is eligible to place an advertisement on a first-come, first-served basis. Stanford Report, however, reserves the right to determine each ad’s final placement. Learn more about advertising. The cost of ads is $75 each.
Stanford Report facts and figures
Circulation: 39,243 as of Oct. 22, 2020
Engagement: 77 percent of subscribers are highly engaged and often open and click the email
Distribution: 54 percent of subscribers have Stanford.edu addresses
Circulation growth: Stanford Report was launched in 2009 with 12,000 subscribers
Open rate average: 35.6 percent as of Oct. 22, 2020
Average click rate: 9.7 percent as of Oct. 22, 2020
Opens throughout the day: About 1,700 people open it at 4 a.m., rising to more around 2,500 at 7 a.m., an additional 2,500 at 8 a.m., and 1,000 at 10 a.m. After that, opens diminish.
Desktop vs. mobile: 60 percent of readers view Stanford Report on their desktop; 40 percent on their mobile device
Geographic locations: 75 percent of our subscribers are located in the U.S.
For more information, contact editor Kate Chesley, firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to Stanford Report
Stanford Report is sent automatically to all Stanford faculty and staff. Others are invited to subscribe by entering your email address and name below.
Missed an issue?
Browse recent issues of the Stanford Report.
Stanford affiliates are invited to place ads in Stanford Report for campus-related programs and activities. Learn how to advertise.
We’d love to hear from you!
Send us your comments, questions and story suggestions.
We’re sorry to see you go. If you wish to no longer receive Stanford Report, you may unsubscribe.