Stanford recognized as a top-performing university in key sustainability areas
Stanford was recently recognized by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education’s (AASHE) 2019 Sustainable Campus Index as a top-performing university in multiple areas of sustainability.
AASHE is a national organization that empowers higher education faculty, administrators, staff and students to be effective change agents and drivers of sustainability innovation.
Stanford placed in eight categories out of 17 impact areas, based on the results of AASHE’s Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS). Under that system, Stanford was recognized with a Platinum Award earlier this year.
Recent Sustainable Campus Index ratings include:
- 1st place – Overall, Doctoral/Research Institutions
- 1st place – Diversity and Affordability
- 2nd place – Energy
- 2nd place – Wellbeing and Work
- 4th place – Water (tie)
- 4th place – Curriculum
- 5th place – Public Engagement
- 8th place – Campus Engagement (tie)
Stanford was also recognized for its new investment responsibility framework, which includes an updated approach to managing social responsibility in endowment investments by actively incorporating ethical considerations into investment decisions.
Additional sustainability recognitions for Stanford this year include:
- California Higher Education Sustainability Conference’s Best Practice Award, for sustainable design at Stanford Redwood City in 2019
- PR Daily’s Corporate Social Responsibility Awards, for Green and Environmental Stewardship
Read more on the Sustainable Stanford website.