Stanford history unfolds while Walking the Farm
In collaboration with author TOM DEMUND, the Bill Lane Center for the American West has published Walking the Farm, a book that offers 18 themed walks around the Stanford campus plus 16 hikes in the foothills and four more along the frontage of San Francisco Bay in East Palo Alto.
On Monday, Oct. 16, DeMund will be joined by history Professor Emeritus DAVID KENNEDY, Stanford archeologist and Stanford Historical Society president LAURA JONES and professor of political science and center director BRUCE CAIN for a presentation and reception celebrating the publication of Walking the Farm. It will be held at 4:30 p.m. in Oak Room West of Tresidder Memorial Union.
The book takes its name from the practice of farmers who walked the perimeter of their farms in the spring to check for damaged fences and other issues that might have arisen during the winter. And, of course, Stanford is called “The Farm” because it is built on the site of Leland Stanford’s former farm for raising and breeding thoroughbred racehorses.
The 262-page book includes 107 color photos and 31 black-and-white historical photos from the Stanford archives. Each chapter includes a full-page color map showing the route of that chapter’s walk or hike.
Each of the chapters follows a theme. One describes a 110-year flashback walk around campus, focusing on how it looked the day before and the day after the famed 1906 earthquake, and detailing the devastation that occurred. Other chapters include, for instance, sculpture locations, sports facilities, science and engineering facilities and the Stanford Research Park.
DeMund is a Stanford alumnus with a long history of campus involvement. He is also the author of an award-winning hiking book, now in its sixth edition, that serves as a hikers’ bible for trails in a spectacular region of the Sierra Nevada.