Optional pre-travel testing
Dean of Students Mona Hicks and Vaden Health Services Executive Director Jim Jacobs provide information on optional, pre-travel COVID-19 testing for students who will be coming to Stanford for the first time in 2021.
We are writing today with information on optional, pre-travel COVID-19 testing. Later this month, we will follow-up with information on required, on-campus COVID-19 testing.
We encourage all students who will be coming to Stanford for the first time in 2021 to get tested for SARS-CoV-2 prior to departure to help make a wise decision about whether or not to travel.
We are offering optional pre-arrival testing at no cost through Binx Health to students who are age 18 or over and who have a physical mailing address within the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska) but who do not otherwise have access to testing. Unfortunately, we cannot offer this service to students with P.O. Box addresses or to students who are outside the United States. This test involves a self-collected mid-turbinate nasal swab.
- Today or tomorrow (no later than March 10), order a pre-arrival test. Go to this Binx website, click “check availability,” complete the questionnaire, and then complete the checkout process with this unique coupon code: MISSINGCODE. When ordering your test, you must use your Stanford email address. When prompted for your shipping address, enter the location in the United States where you are receiving packages at this time. You will receive your collection kit within 2-3 business days of placing the order.
- On March 15 or 16, take the Binx pre-arrival test and return your sample via the provided pre-paid UPS envelope. It is important to activate, collect and return your sample all on the same day. Samples can only be collected and returned Monday-Friday. See the video here to learn how to properly collect your sample.
- You will receive the results within 24-48 hours of the lab receiving a properly collected sample.
- If you test positive before arriving on campus through Binx or any other healthcare provider, file a help ticket with Housing Assignments to arrange a new arrival date and send a copy of your positive COVID test (attached to a secure message) to Dr. Robyn Tepper through the Vadenpatient portal.
- Kits received by Binx on or after March 23 will not be processed.
Senior Associate Vice Provost and Dean of Students
Dr. Jim Jacobs
Associate Vice Provost and Executive Director, Vaden Health Services