The Governor's Historic Preservation Award for 1999 has been awarded to the university for its 10-year seismic strengthening program and "outstanding achievements in the field of historic preservation."
In a letter dated May 18 to university architect David Neuman, Daniel Abeyta, acting state historic preservation officer in the Department of Parks and Recreation, states: "This prestigious award is the only official preservation award presented by the State of California to worthy recipients in recognition of outstanding achievements."
During the last decade, the university has spent more than $250 million, including federal grants, seismically retrofitting buildings and restoring interiors in more than 85 historic structures. These form an important part of Stanford's history and California's architectural heritage, says Neuman. The buildings include Memorial Church, the Cantor Center for Visual Arts, Frank Lloyd Wright's Hanna House, Encina Hall, Green Library West and several buildings in the Main Quad.
- Memorial Church,
built in 1903, is the focal point of the campus' main entry along
Palm Drive. It was the first campus building restored following the
1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake and reopened in 1992. Architects for
this project were Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates. Seismic
engineering was designed by H.J. Degenkolb Associates.
- The Iris and B. Gerald
Cantor Center for Visual Arts, the former Stanford Museum,
was constructed between 1891 and 1906 and was severely damaged
during the San Francisco earthquake in 1906. Several wings of the
original museum were never rebuilt. The remaining building and
rotundas were seismically renovated and the interior restored and
reopened this year. The architects were Polshek and Partners
Architects, with historic preservation consultation by the
Architectural Resources Group. Seismic engineering was performed by
H.J. Degenkolb Associates.
- Hanna House was
designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and completed in 1937. A
faculty-owned home, it was given to the university in the 1970s. It
is considered to be one of Wright's most significant structures,
and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The
residence, designed on a hexagonal grid, was reopened in April
after being closed for 10 years following earthquake damage.
Architects for the project were the Architectural Resources Group,
with the consultation of Martin Eli Weil, a Frank Lloyd Wright
specialist. Seismic engineers were Rutherford and Chekene.
- Encina Hall, the
first men's dormitory on campus, was completed in 1891 by
architects Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge. In 1972, a fire damaged the
east wing. Restoration of the wing, and the south wing as the
Bechtel Conference Center, was completed in 1998. Architects for
the restoration of both wings were Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer
Associates. Structural Engineers were H.J. Degenkolb
- Green Library
West, constructed in 1917, was designed by noted San
Francisco architects Bakewell and Brown. Closed after the Loma
Prieta earthquake in 1989, its seismic renovation and interior
restoration will be completed this year. The architectural firm for
this project is Fields & Devereaux, with preservation
consulting by Architectural Resources Group. Structural engineers
are Forell Elsesser.
- Building 30, one
of the Main Quad buildings undergoing seismic and historic
restoration, has already received a 1998 American Institute of
Architects Merit Award for its rehabilitation and historic
preservation. Architects were the Architectural Resources Group of
San Francisco; structural engineers were GFDS Engineers.
- Other major Main Quad buildings that received seismic retrofitting and interior restoration include Pigott Hall, previously called Language Corner. It was originally constructed in 1905 and designed by architects Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, who designed most of the original Stanford academic buildings. Restoration was completed in 1996. Architects for the project were Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates, and structural engineering was performed by Rutherford & Chekene of San Francisco.
- Braun Corner, previously named Geology Corner, another Main Quad building, was seismically retrofitted and the interiors renovated in 1996. Architects were Esherick Homsey Dodge and Davis of San Francisco; structural engineers were Rutherford & Chekene.
As each building in the Main Quad
undergoes seismic reconstruction, its adjacent arcades are being
rebuilt with restoration of details from the early 1900s. Major
architectural features associated with the arcades, such as the
portal entryways on the east and west sides of the Main Quad, also
have been repaired and strengthened. Two of the Main Quad buildings
remain to be seismically strengthened. When these two projects are
completed by fall 2002, the Main Quad and nearly all of Stanford's
original buildings will have been revived for the 21st century,