Storm preparedness tips
Stanford emergency officials are monitoring storm conditions closely and are ready to respond to weather emergencies. When severe weather or flooding occurs, know how to protect your safety at home and at work. Here are some basic tips:
Before the storm:
- Store essential supplies.
- Keep an emergency kit handy at home and at work. Include:
battery, radio, flashlights and extra batteries, first aid kit and
extra drinking water.
- Keep plastic sheeting, sandbags and lumber for waterproofing or
- Know safe alternate routes, along high ground, between home and campus.
During a severe storm:
- Be alert.
- To report a non-life-threatening situation involving
building damage, leaks, blocked storm drains, fallen trees, etc.,
call Stanford Facilities Operations at 723-2281.
- To report a life-threatening emergency dial 911.
- Be prepared for electricity, telephone and water service
- Use flashlights, rather than candles, for emergency light.
- Listen to KZSU (90.1FM) or local media reports for storm and
- Call the Stanford Emergency Information Hotlines to hear
725-5555 Campus Reports
497-9000 Student Bulletins
498-8888 Hospital Information
- Never try to cross flowing streams of water – you can be
swept away in inches of water.
- When driving, drive slowly and cautiously:
Avoid low-lying areas and underpasses.
Beware of downed power lines and debris.
Do not cross flooded roads. You can get stranded, even in shallow water.
- Do not enter areas that are posted or blocked with emergency
- Follow emergency instructions. If you must evacuate:
Disconnect electrical equipment if it is safe to do so.
Take your keys and valuables.
After the emergency:
As the storm and flooding subside:
- Report campus facilities problems to Work Control at
- Continue to listen to media advisories and campus safety
- Do not handle electrical equipment in wet areas.
When it's all over:
- Replenish emergency preparedness supplies.
For more emergency preparedness information call:
- Stanford Environmental Health & Safety, 725-1409
- Stanford Public Safety, 723-9633
Some helpful URLs on emergency preparedness:
- Up-to-date weather advisories from the National Weather
- Preparedness tips for your household and flood insurance
- Traffic updates: