CONTACT: Stanford University News Service (650) 723-2558
A century of marine science to be discussed
STANFORD -- "Hopkins Marine Station: 100 Years of Marine Science at Stanford" is the topic of an illustrated lecture that will be presented at 3 p.m. Sunday, March 28, in History Corner room 2.
Sponsored by the Stanford Historical Society, the program will feature David Epel, professor of biological sciences and associate director of Hopkins Marine Station.
One year after the university opened the marine station got its start as the Hopkins Seaside Laboratory, a branch of the department of biological sciences.
University trustee Timothy Hopkins donated $1,000 toward the venture, which was instigated by David Starr Jordan, who earlier had studied under Louis Agassiz at the Anderson School on an island off Cape Cod. The Anderson School provided a summer of intense study of the marine environment, forever changing the study of biology to a discipline based on observation and experimentation.
Agassiz's short-lived school led to establishment of the first marine station in America, the Marine Biological Laboratory at Woods Hole, Mass. Stanford's marine station was the second.
Under Jordan's direction, biology professors Charles Gilbert and Oliver Peebles Jenkins selected the Pacific Grove location in 1892. The laboratory was renamed Hopkins Marine Station in 1917, when it moved from its original location at nearby Lovers Point to its present site on China Point.
In the early years, the station offered only summer teaching, although it was available year-round for researchers.
In his talk, Epel will discuss the 100-year development of the marine station, and the types of research carried on there.
This is an archived release.
This release is not available in any other form.
Images mentioned in this release are not available online.