CONTACT: Stanford University News Service (650) 723-2558
14 Stanford scholars elected to Academy of Arts and Sciences
STANFORD -- Fourteen Stanford faculty members are among the 205 leading
scholars newly elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Their selection brings total Stanford membership in the academy to 167,
plus six scholars affiliated with the Hoover Institution.
Founded in 1780 by John Adams and other leaders of the American
Revolution, the academy is an international honorary society based in
Cambridge, Mass. It conducts a program of scholarly projects, studies and
publications that address issues of contemporary society and public policy.
Its present membership of about 3,300 fellows includes leading figures from
universities, government, business and the creative arts.
The new Stanford members are:
- Hans C. Andersen, professor of chemistry.
- Denis A. Baylor, professor of neurobiology.
- Richard A. Brody, professor of political science.
- Donald J. Brown, professor of economics.
- Steven Chu, professor of physics and applied physics, and Theodore and
Frances Geballe Professor of Humanities and Sciences.
- Peter Galison, professor of philosophy, and Marta Sutton Weeks Faculty
- Michael T. Hannan, professor of sociology, and professor of
organizational behavior and human resources at the Graduate School of
- David M. Kreps, Paul E. Holden Professor of Economics at the Graduate
School of Business.
- Paul R. Milgrom, professor of economics.
- Lucille Shapiro, professor of developmental biology, and Joseph D. Grant
Professor in the School of Medicine.
- Carla Jo Shatz, professor of neurobiology.
- James J. Sheehan, professor of history, and Dickason Professor in the
- Richard E. Taylor, professor of physics at the Stanford Linear
Accelerator Center, and co-winner of the 1990 Nobel Prize in physics.
- Paul A. Wender, professor of chemistry.
This is an archived release.
This release is not available in any other form.
Images mentioned in this release are not available online.
Stanford News Service has an extensive library of images,
some of which may be available to you online.
Direct your request by EMail to email@example.com.