Stanford University

News Service


NEWS RELEASE

06/11/91

CONTACT: Stanford University News Service (415) 723-2558

Prof. Marion Lewenstein named academic secretary

STANFORD -- Marion Lewenstein, professor of communication (teaching), has been named academic secretary of Stanford University.

Provost James N. Rosse announced her appointment to the Faculty Senate on Thursday, June 6, and said she will serve at least three years. She succeeds Prof. Arthur Coladarci, who died Jan. 16.

Rosse drew laughs from the senate when he said that Lewenstein had "agreed to stand for the job." She sat in the front row with her foot propped up, having broken her ankle in a recent bike accident.

"She brings to this job both the skills of a reporter and writer, as well as the insights of someone who has been committed to Stanford for some years," Rosse said.

The academic secretary independently coordinates the faculty's role in university governance, organizing the work of the Academic Council and the Faculty Senate, its 55-member elected governing body. The secretary also is responsible for the senate minutes and the historical record on academic legislation.

Lewenstein, who begins the new position June 17, will devote 70 percent time to the position and continue teaching journalism the other 30 percent.

She joined the communication department as a teaching professor in 1975. For many years, she contributed to Time and Fortune, and she continues writing for professional news journals and serving as a newspaper consultant.

Lewenstein won a Dinkelspiel Award for outstanding service to undergraduate education in 1978. She has lived in Schiff House as resident fellow, has co-chaired the Board of Trustees Special Committee on Investment Responsibility and has taught at Stanford's programs in Florence and Oxford.

She was a member of the Writing Across the Curriculum task force in 1984 that recommended a writing-intensive course requirement. In 1990, she co-chaired the C.K. McClatchy Memorial Symposium on "Democracy, Diversity and Mass Media Ownership."

Lewenstein was named outstanding journalism educator at the four- year college level in 1981 by the California Newspaper Publishers Association. Two years later, she won the Associated Press Managing Editors award for a foreign news study, "Seven Days in the Life of the World." She is an ex officio board member of the California Society of Newspaper Editors.

Lewenstein will be the 15th academic secretary in Stanford history, and the fifth to serve since the Faculty Senate was formed in 1968. In addition to Coladarci, others who have served the Faculty Senate are Profs. Clara Bush, linguistics; Eric Hutchinson, chemistry; and H. Donald Winbigler, speech and drama, and longtime dean of students.

Prof. Gene Webb, business, headed the search committee for Coladarci's successor. Other members included Profs. Nancy Packer, English and director of the Creative Writing Program; William Kays, mechanical engineering and former dean of engineering; and Halsey Royden, mathematics and former dean of humanities and sciences.

-kb-

lid, journ1 acasecy

910611Arc1323.html


This is an archived release.

This release is not available in any other form. Images mentioned in this release are not available online.
Stanford News Service has an extensive library of images, some of which may be available to you online. Direct your request by EMail to images@news-service.stanford.edu.

© Stanford University. All Rights Reserved. Stanford, CA 94305. (650) 723-2300. Terms of Use | Copyright Complaints