Print

Minor fire at Law School causes water damage

In the wake of a small fire on the second floor of the Law School Tuesday evening, the building's café and lounges for faculty and students are temporarily closed due to water damage caused by the building's sprinkler system. The fire, caused by a stove in the faculty kitchen on the second floor of the Crown Quadrangle, was extinguished promptly but forced occupants in the building to evacuate at about 6:30 p.m.

The sprinklers flooded the faculty lounge, next to the kitchen, as well as a nearby conference room. Water then seeped to the floors below, affecting the school's café, the student lounge on the ground floor and the student locker room and electrical room in the basement.

Firefighters used an oversized "squeegee" to push water from the faculty and student lounges outside. Water soaked walls and ceiling tiles, carpets and some furniture, but an official cost estimate for all the damages has yet to be released.

There were no injuries or major damage to equipment or academic materials reported.

The café and other affected areas will remain closed until they can dry out. In the interim, the Law School is looking into providing food service—such as grab-and-go items—through its regular vendor in one of its outdoor courtyards.