Fuller, Hanley named to endowed professorships
Margaret T. Fuller, PhD, professor of developmental biology and of genetics, has been named to the Reed-Hodgson Professorship in Human Biology.
Fuller's research investigates the mechanisms that regulate and mediate male gamete differentiation using the laboratory fruit fly Drosophila as a model system. A central focus of her work also concerns the mechanisms that regulate stem cell behavior. She is also chair of the Department of Developmental Biology.
Prior to joining Stanford in 1990, Fuller was a member of the University of Colorado faculty. She received a PhD in microbiology from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and then trained as a postdoctoral fellow in developmental genetics at Indiana University.
The Reed-Hodgson chair was established in 1973, through a gift from the late Richard Hodgson and his wife, Geraldine Coursen Reed, together with funds from a Ford Foundation grant to the Human Biology program.
Hodgson, who died in 2000, served as a corporate senior vice president of the International Telephone and Telegraph Corp. until 1980. He was also a cofounder and director of Intel Corp. as well as several other technology companies. He received an AB in engineering from Stanford in 1937, and his wife, Geraldine, received an AB in philosophy from Stanford in 1938. The couple were strong supporters of Stanford, and other members of their family are also Stanford alums.
The Reed-Hodgson chair is the second to be established in the interdisciplinary Human Biology Program, which draws together six departments: biology, sociology, psychology, psychiatry, genetics and pediatrics and human development.
Frank L. Hanley, MD, professor of cardiothoracic surgery, has been named the first Lawrence Crowley, MD, Professor in Child Health.
Hanley's research and clinical work focuses on the development of interventional techniques for fetal and neonatal treatment of congenital heart disease.
Hanley also co-directs the Children's Heart Center at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital, and is actively involved in the leadership and development of the hospital's pediatric cardiac program. In addition, he directs the pediatric cardiac surgery programs at three satellite surgical sites—Oakland Children's Hospital, Children's Hospital of Central California in Madera and Sutter Memorial Hospital in Sacramento—making Lucile Packard Children's Hospital's expertise available to these communities.
Hanley makes numerous presentations regionally, nationally and internationally, often on the unifocalization procedure, a surgery he pioneered that uses a single procedure to repair a complex and life-threatening congenital heart defect rather than several staged open-heart surgeries as performed by other surgeons.
Prior to joining the Stanford faculty in 2001, Hanley was a tenured clinical professor and chief of the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery at UCSF, where he had completed his residency. He also spent three years at Boston Children's Hospital.
The professorship, established in September 2004 through a gift from the Lucile Packard Foundation for Children's Health and The David and Lucile Packard Foundation, honors Crowley for his dedication to fulfilling Lucile Packard's vision of establishing a comprehensive pediatric hospital at Stanford.
Crowley first came to Stanford as professor of surgery in 1964 after serving as assistant professor of surgery at both Yale University and USC. He went on to become dean of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine from 1974 to 1978. He returned to Stanford as acting dean of the medical school, and in 1979 was appointed vice president for medical affairs at Stanford. He became president of Stanford Hospital in 1981.
Crowley served as a member of the board of directors of Stanford Hospital from 1979 to 1993 and was a board member of Children's Hospital at Stanford and, later, Lucile Packard Children's Hospital, from 1982 to 1996, serving as chair from 1982 to 1993.
During his time at Stanford, Crowley was instrumental in the development of the strong partnership between Stanford and Packard Children's Hospital that exists today.